Your Ad Here

Roberto Cavalli limited edition cell phone model

Total Pageviews

Monday, December 27, 2010

I Can’t Act Nude--Bhaira

Winner of the 2007 edition of the Amstel Malta Box Office (AMBO) reality TV show, Eberechukwu McWizu, popularly known as Bhaira, in this interview, bares her mind on sundry issues.

What has been happening to you in recent times?

Well, I’ve been around,
doing what I love to do best, which is acting and being in Nollywood. I’m also working towards getting my fashion line ready very soon.

You are working on your fashion line?

Yes, it’s something I’ve been thinking about and finally, I’m now doing something about it. I will be launching the first set of may collections very soon because I have a flair for designing things. I also know how to put things together. The name of my fashion line and other things surrounding it are top secret for now. I won’t divulge them until further notice.

It seems you’ve been quite busy since the beginning of the year. How many films have you made this year?
Sincerely, I’ve made quite a few this year with some notable producers. I did great works like Bursting Out, Love Like Ours, Tinsel, Wale Adenuga Productions and several others. I feel happy doing what I like to do and that gives me extra joy. I don’t like to rush things, I want the best and the best always comes to me, and I always thank God for that.

Were you already into acting prior to winning the 2007 AMBO?
Officially no, but I had always wanted to act and show the world the natural acting talent in me. Having also followed AMBO since its inception, I thought it would be a lovely idea to be part of it and that prompted me to buy the form. While AMBO was auditioning, I actually shuttled between the exercise and a play that Prof. Ahmed Yerima was staging at the National Theatre. It was tedious combining both tasking jobs. Till date, I’m still dazed that I was able to cope with both jobs. It was hectic and fun altogether.

While entering the AMBO House, did you ever envisage that you’d end up winning the crown?
Sincerely, I was kind of intimidated by the CV of some of my fellow contestants. But my faith kept me going till the very last day. I couldn’t believe my eyes when my name was announced, in fact, I still remember vividly, when my name was announced, that day, I went blank because I was not feeling anything. I was lost and was not present when my name was announced.

Which was the first job you did immediately after AMBO-sponsored Cindy’s Note?

It was Waterfalls by Lancelot Imasuen, a lovely movie. After that, other jobs began to pour in.

What would you say informed your passion for acting?

It has to do with the theatre, I love theatre work a lot. Even as a child, my mother used to take me to watch films. My mum also gave us a free hand to follow our passion, but it’s education first.

When you were about going for AMBO, did your mother support and encourage you?

Nobody knew I was going for AMBO in my house and prior to AMBO, I was at the MUSON School of Music and at the same time, working for my mum, so there was no time. When they called and I told them I was in the house, they didn’t believe me.

What did you do with your N2.5 million prize money?

It was wisely used and my parents also ensured that I did that. I invested the money wisely.

Among your numerous jobs, which would you say has been the most challenging, in terms of role interpretation?
Most challenging? Cindy’s Note challenged me at a point in my career and when I started to grow in the industry, other jobs that I did with some equally good producers also challenged me. I guess the next movie would be my next challenge. I think I’ve done about 10 quality movies and still hope to do more.

Your predecessors, Azizat Sadiq and OC Ukeje, won awards at the AMAA during their reign with Sitanda and White Waters. But you didn’t win with Cindy’s Note while you reigned, did you feel bad that AMAA did not come your way?

Did I feel bad? Yes, I did, because I’m quite a confident person and that reflects in all my works. Sometimes circumstances try to make you feel you are not worth it. I know what I’m doing and if I don’t win this year, I may win next year. If you check it worldwide, best actors don’t get to pick awards in most cases. I’ve not even started, when I start, the awards will come. I don’t blame anybody, whoever wins wins, it does not change the fact that you are good.

Since winning the AMBO in 2007, you’ve been consistent on the entertainment scene, what would you say kept you going?

First and foremost, it is the grace of God and again working hard and being smart are also part of my staying power. I always look out for the best and cannot stay idle; I’m always thinking and like to create things on my own. There is never a dull moment with me. Again, I’ve chosen a path and that is to succeed in life.

Tell us more about your background?

Bhaira was born Eberechukwu McWizu, I’m from Anambra State, Ozubulu, to be precise. But I was born and raised here in Lagos and read Philosophy at the Lagos State University. I’m from a large family, just like Abraham, who had many children.

So, who’s Bhaira and how would you describe her?

Bhaira is any easy going and sociable young lady that likes to help people. She also likes to have fun and live life with no regrets. She likes to be happy always.

Who would you say really influenced your career in Nollywood, especially when you were just starting?
Well, Taiwo Ajayi-Lycett was one of my earliest influences, also Edith Jane Azu, Bimbo Manuel and a few others. I look forward to working with any of them, especially Edith Jane Azu, some day.

If given a second chance, would you love to go back to AMBO House?
Go to do what? Maybe when they increase the prize money to N10.5 million, I will go and grab it again.

In your own views, do you think Nollywood producers are doing enough in terms of promoting and projecting the careers of rising acts like you?
Everybody would want me to say no, they are not doing enough and that they should help us and give us enough chance to grow, but the truth of the matter is that everybody is trying to up his or her game and it is a growing industry. It would be wise for rising stars like me to improve on their craft by engaging in other creative ventures, especially in writing and producing their own movies. And by so doing, they will stand out, no matter what happens. The world would search for you when your craft is superb. I don’t believe in waiting for someone to come and help me to do what I’m supposed to know how to do best.

You’re a product of a reality show, AMBO made you, but the impression is that reality shows have been bastardised and made to look very cheap these days through proliferation, do you subscribe to this notion?
I agree with you, there is proliferation of reality TV shows. Once in a while, I see myself inundated by the amount of reality shows coming on board, especially in the area of acting. Just a few of them are authentic, while the rest are sham. I was a victim to some of them. I paid and was duped severally. I saw that as part of the sacrifices that I made to be who I am today.

With your experience, what advice would you proffer to help checkmate this fraud that is gradually becoming the order of the day?

I wish I know what to do because it is really serious. AGN president and other guilds should collectively come together to fight this escalating trend.

How daring can you be in a movie?

Well, I think this is a very serious question and our culture will not allow me to be that daring in a movie. Again, I don’t think you need to go naked to express yourself in a film. I pick my scripts very wisely and equally seek the opinion of my family before accepting any script.

But what major things are you looking out for in a script before you can accept it?
I look out for intuition and wisdom because I don’t like to be type cast or stereotyped because I can do it very well. I always reject such scripts.

What major things do you usually take along while going on location?

My Bible first, because the world is crazy, then my blackberry phone and the guitar.

So, you play the guitar very well?

Of course, I told you I went to MUSON School of Music. Besides, you don’t have to be a musician to play the guitar, you can as well go to school, like I did and learnt it. I also play the piano and make my own music. I want to buy a grand piano and once I do that soon, nothing can stop me. A part of my dream is to be a recording and performing artiste in the next couple of years. I’m not in a hurry to do that, anyway, because I also intend to go into movie production.

Back to MUSON School of Music, what actually attracted you?
For me, music is life and I remember I bought myself a guitar from the salary I earned while working for my mum after leaving secondary school. I was bent on starting music first, but as fate would have it, acting came first. I still compose romantic songs with my guitar, even gospel songs too.

What would you say separates and gives you an edge over the many rising acts that daily invade the entertainment landscape, especially Nollywood?

I think I know and understand myself very well at this stage. Again, I’m beginning to understand life, so to speak. The more you chase after things, the more they seem to elude you. But if you enjoy life with every moment that comes with it and also get better at what you do, all good things will come to you. For me, that is what I think makes me who I am.

How old is Bhaira?
I’m 27 this year.

Is she still single or married?
Well, I was only married on TV, in Super Story, but in real life, you and I know I’m not.

Is marriage on your mind and again, do you think about it often?
Marriage is a beautiful thing and I do think about it. I will be crazy if I don’t think about it.

How soon do you intend to settle down?
When the right thing clicks, when all things work together for my good.

When will that be?
I have to make an effort and the person I’m with also needs to make an effort too.

So, there is a man in your life currently?
I don’t talk about such issues publicly, I’m really sorry, they’re very personal.

Are there pressures from your parents to get married?

Apart from my late dad, I know my mum would love to have pretty grand children around her. She’s quite contemporary, but would like to see her grand kids soon.

Does your single status weigh you down?
I never told you I was single. I didn’t tell you that.

How do you cope with men?

They do come, but for me, it’s a matter of principle and I handle them politely. They come my way always, but I try to be careful in dealing with them.

Can you marry an actor?

Yes, if he has all the qualities I want from my man. He must be spiritual, young, brilliant and confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBC News - Entertainment & Arts

Follow Me on Twitter